Streamlining B2B sales processes and operations can be daunting and money-consuming, which is why you need a B2B sales playbook.
Many B2B companies end up spending millions every year trying to organize operations without any significant results.
Don’t let that happen to you!
You need a plan. You need it documented in a B2B sales playbook.
Your B2B sales playbook will help you streamline and hone your sales processes.
Ready to grow sales and increase profits?
Put on your coaching hat and build your B2B sales playbook!
What Is a B2B Sales Playbook?
A B2B sales playbook is information, methods, and techniques that your sales reps can use to develop their skills and enhance the overall sales process.
A comprehensive and well-drafted B2B sales playbook can help your teams effectively engage with clients at each step of the buying cycle.
It typically contains:
- Detailed descriptions for target audiences/buyer personas
- Roles and responsibilities of the sales teams
- Primary KPIs
- Software tutorials
- Lead qualification criteria
- Standardized scripts for engaging with prospects
- Sales Email Templates
- Standardized messaging for products and services
- Competitive battle cards
- Frequently-asked questions about products/services and their answers
Per HubSpot, sales teams only dedicate one-third of their time to communicating with prospects. They spend 21% of their time writing emails, 17% of their time on data entry, and 17% of the time finding prospects.
All in all, sales teams lose time while:
- Searching for appropriate sales information and resources
- Determining the best course of action for each prospect they deal with
- Understanding how to use tools and software involved in the sales process
- Creating customized resources
A B2B sales playbook can help your team save time in the four areas mentioned above and significantly increase their overall efficiency.
You can also use B2B sales playbooks to:
- Tackle a difficult quarter
- Push a new product/service line
- Improve coordination among sales team members
- And more!
Five Reasons Why B2B Companies Should Use a Sales Playbook
1. Improved Consistency of Sales Teams
When all the members of your sales teams use a shared repository of information and resources, you’ll observe the consistency in communication and messaging when engaging with prospects. Therefore, a B2B sales playbook can come in handy to avoid conflicts and inconsistencies in the overall messaging around your products and services.
2. Enhanced Skills
When combined with proper training, a B2B sales playbook can help sales reps upskill or hone their existing skills. A sales playbook can also help in eliminating guesswork and increasing the confidence of the sales teams when closing a deal.
Per research by the Aberdeen Group, 54% of sales reps who use sales playbooks are more likely to meet their sales targets as opposed to those who are not using them.
3. Reduced Time to Train New Team Members
A B2B sales playbook can become the heart of your sales enablement efforts, especially for new sales reps. When you hire new sales reps, you need to implement a standardized training plan. With a sales playbook, you can reduce the time taken to train new sales reps as it will provide them with a detailed overview of your sales process and act as a step-by-step guide for them.
4. Easy-to-Create Sales Proposals
A B2B sales playbook can help sales teams to create tailored sales proposals without investing a lot of effort and time.
5. More Closed/Won Opportunities
When sales teams use a B2B sales playbook, they achieve better results in terms of closed/won opportunities. Research shows that for sales teams that use sales playbooks, the closed/won opportunities can increase by an average of 60%.
How Do You Create an Effective B2B Sales Playbook?
Here are four ways to create a valuable B2B sales playbook:
1. Identify Your Unique Selling Proposition
All B2B companies have unique selling points. Therefore, first things first, identify what differentiates your company from your competitors. Ensure that your unique selling proposition is the primary focus during sales calls.
2. Know Your Target Audience
Next, identify your target audiences and create elaborate buyer personas. To sell your products and services effectively, you need to know what your prospects are looking for.
When building buyer personas, consider the following:
- Social background
- Employment status
- Relationship status
- Family details
- Average income
- Personal interests
Once you’ve created buyer personas, create customized sales scripts for each persona.
3. Ensure Consistency in Sales Messaging
Thirdly, ensure all your sales reps are using consistent messaging while communicating with prospects. Finally, create a repository of messages that can be customized for each prospect. This will also reduce the time taken to develop tailored pitches and proposals.
4. Add Only Relevant Sales Enablement Resources
Even if your sales teams are powerhouses of knowledge about your products and services, sometimes, prospects need more assurance. This is where sales enablement resources can help, but only “relevant sales enablement resources.”
Ensure your B2B sales playbook comprises the right sales enablement resources to draw prospects. These include:
- Engaging and visually attractive content
- Content that is relevant to each stage of the buying process
- Free samples or trials
- Case studies and testimonials from existing customers